Back office work generated by Contact center

Topic Views - 142

Back office work generated by Contact center
I work for a company who uses "tasks" as a method of tracking the volume of work passed from the contact center to a back office order management team. These "tasks" are issues that the agent is unable to resolve on first contact. I am trying to decide weather or not I should focus resources on driving a project to reduce the amount of "tasks" created for the back office. Currently about 3.3% of customer contacts end up as a "task" 3500/year.

Im hoping to compile an industry benchmark of what an acceptable level of "task" work is. The work is mostly tech support and sales based. Any help with a baseline would be great.

Helper

Call Centre Helper

Should I focus on reducing back office tasks?
You asked? Should I focus resources on driving a project to reduce the amount of "tasks" created for the back office.

The short and long answer is yes. But not for the reason suggested.

You should do it not to reduce workload on the back office. You should do it to improve customer satisfaction. If a task has to go to the back office that probably means that you have a customer problem - often as a result of a broken process.

So you should set up a team to reduce the back office workload.

You also say "I'm hoping to compile an industry benchmark of what an acceptable level of "task" work is". Don't bother with an industry benchmark. It would be meaningless as it depends upon your type of company and problem. Drive your own benchmark and initially look to improve that by 35%. All the telecoms companies benchmark each other. The result is that generally they mostly provide equally bad customer service.

So if you currently have 3.3% of customer contacts end up as a "task", set a target to get this to 2.2%.

Start with the Top 3 issues that become tasks and start by just fixing those.
https://www.callcentrehelper.com/identify-your-3-most-common-customer-issues-and-fix-them-then-repeat-the-process-100269.htm

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question