Benchmark for Participation/Response Level - Customer Satisfaction Survey

Topic Views - 172

Vendor Manager

IT Company

Benchmark for Participation/Response Level - Customer Satisfaction Survey

Hi,

We are currently conducting a Customer Satisfaction Survey, specifically relating to our Call Centre Performance. At the end of each support call, we are asking customer to participate in the survey. If they agree, we email them a link to an online survey that they complete & submit. I am currently tracking the following:

1 Overall Response Level - number of completed surveys compared to calls handled
2 Participation Level - number of customers who agree to participate in the surveys compared to calls handled
3 Response Rate - number of completed surveys received compared to the number of surveys sent (to customers who agreed to participate)

Our response rate is around 20%, and the participation Level is around 8%. However in terms of calls handled, we've only received feedback on 1.5% of calls, which seems really low to me.

Does anyone have any benchmarks/industry standards on Customer Satisfaction Surveys, participation/response levels?

Or, any feedback on how we could get more customers to participate in the survey?

Many thanks.

Incentive
>>>Or, any feedback on how we could get more customers to participate in the survey?

Offer a worthwhile and meaningful incentive that appeals to a broad spectrum of your customer base

poolboy

Dechaine Consulting Inc

helen
How strange but I was nearly working on an identical problem and came here to post it...

I would suggest a possible prize that your customers will definetly use.

ie: If you are an internet provider give 1 in 10 customers a free month, if you are a resteraunt survey send food coupons, etc

In my experience feedback is often very hard to get. I don't have any industry standards but 1.5% while low...isn't completly unbelievable.

Looking at your exact scenario from your customer's perspective a few things come to mind.

Asking your customer at the end of the call will skew your results a bit, do you really think your agents are going to ask irate callers? I've always believed you will learn way more from your irate callers than happy one's.

Informing your customers at the begining of the call, even in the IVR or while on hold will prepare them for this and won't seem as much like an "upsell". Once the call is completed and situation resolved customers are "shut off" and don't want to hear anything else.

Ineffecient communication, you have to ask me, I have to say yes, you have to send email, I have to click on link in email, I have to fill in survey. That's a fair amount of steps. You might find it easier for all your agents to simply state something like "By the way sir, please visit our website for a chance to win *prize X* and fill in a short survey about your customer service experience today". I would be less inclined to give someone my e-mail address so they can send me a link to a survey rather than go straight to the page.

poolboy

Dechaine Consulting Inc

industry standards
While not perhaps a "statistic" I called some people I know who work for online survey company's.

Here is pretty much what I gathered;

10% would be great.
3% or below is pretty poor and will skew your results (ie: only really mad or really happy customers)

So between 4-10% seems to give good numbers.

They didnt say they were unhappy so they must be happy
Dont forget this...just becasue a customer doesnt complain it doesnt mean they are happy. I see many agents and managers using this an excuse to claim that the customer was satisfied. It means nothing. Perhaps they have become used to poor service and cant be bothered to take it further.

Vendor Manager

IT Company

industry standards
You raise some good points. We really need to find a way to get the customers who aren't taking the time (perhpas because they are just accepting of the service) to start sending us their feedback.

The statistics you mention above.. would that apply to the number of responses we receive to the emails sent? Or the number of agents who agree to participate in the survey?

Would you follow a similiar process to us, in asking customers to rate each support call, rather than sending a blast email to all customers and asking them to complete the survey just once? We decided on the suvery per call process, so we would rate an actual experience, rather than just measuring the perception of the customer. I realise perception is very important, but sometimes the perception doesn't match reality, and thats what we're trying to measure. But perhaps this is making the process too cumbersome as well.

Contact Centre Manager

Informa

Customer Satisfaction
Helen

Have you considered using an IVR to survey customers. I am currently considering this option in my centre.

Our plans are to ask customers to take part and transfer them into the IVR survey using a Hot key. We also intend to promote the feeback mechanisem through our over channels (white mail, email, websites, inbound IVR etc)

Be more than happy to discuss our appraoch with you.

poolboy

Dechaine Consulting Inc

Andy, IVR survey
As you have probably realized by participating in my other thread that the IVR survey method also has some distinct disadvantages, primarily that all of your agents are the one's who filter those calls who get survey's using an IVR method.

(Helen, take a gander over at my other thread)

poolboy

Dechaine Consulting Inc

Helen, Industry Standards
The statistics you mention above.. would that apply to the number of responses we receive to the emails sent?

That one there.

I'd prefer a call by call basis survey as you are doing, battling perception is something for your marketting department to do. You are the one that can ensure customers that call in have a good experience. (of course depends what you want to gather info on). Kinda like the whole forst and tree's comparison though.

On a semi-related note I have always considered irate callers the most important by far, which is sad considering so many people don't want to deal with them. For every irate caller that screams at you (or whomever) for 30 minutes there are 5 other customers who just quietly quit and then spread bad rumours and mojo about your company.

poolboy

Dechaine Consulting Inc

and welcome Helen :)
Just wanted to say Welcome, I hope you stick around.

Vendor Manager

IT Company

Thanks!
Thanks for all your feedback guys!! this is the first time I've used this type of forum and its been really helpful!

Speak to you soon!!

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question