Best practice for counting calls

Topic Views - 1079

Best practice for counting calls
In my companies ACD platform, calls are assigned call id's. If there is a queue callback, third party transfer, third party conference, our call logs count each "leg" of the call as a separate line of data, and keep the same call id for each "leg".

Example Below:
Call ID Calls Call Type
xxxxxxxxxx4713 1 Inbound
xxxxxxxxxx4713 1 3rd party transfer
xxxxxxxxxx4713 1 3rd party transfer

This rep was attempting to transfer a call to another dept., the first attempt they did not get through, so a second attempt was made and went through. But in my call logs the call now takes up 3 lines of data, with a majority of the data assigned to the initial inbound call, but there are call times for these third party transfers that are not included in the original contact record.

We have been working with our ACD platform to produce custom reports for our WFM dept. so less time is spent on data entry and they have more time to focus on the analytical aspect. As I work towards validating the data that is sent to us in these custom reports, I am running across call ids that are counted numerous times when looking at calls handled. To me this is inflating our calls handled, which then is skewing our data for unique(distinct) callers. The added duplicate IDs are also factored into our service levels, handle times, speed to answer, etc. These duplicates don't have the original data so when they are recorded they have 0:00:00 entered into the fields, or they have the handle times of that specific "leg" of the call. Its skewing our numbers. Using the same example above:

Calls with Handle Times
Inbound 0:07:00
3rd party transfer 0:00:05
3rd party transfer 0:03:49

The combined handle time is 0:10:54. But because they are counted separately, they skew the data when averages are calculated. Currently our reports are including each separate handle time so the average is reading 0:03:38, which is not a correct representation of the handle times per contact.

My question is what is the best practice for counting calls handled?

I can argue both sides. I understand why our ACD platform records calls like this. Our agents are still working during these transfers and queue call backs, so why not include those in the count? But then on the other hand, its inflating our call counts, showing more contacts than what actually happened?

For one of my low volume campaigns I have a record of 92 calls happening, and then when I remove the duplicate call ids (transfers and callbacks) I only had 46 calls. My staffing for this line is 4 and they only work 4.5 hours a day. The service level was also 63.46% but that was calculated using 92 calls and not 46.

Any advice or insight is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Helper

Call Centre Helper

There are two different ways to measure this
1. Calls coming into the building (Customer calls). In this case a call transferred twice still counts as one call not as three.
2. Individual skills or splits. In this case the call has been handled by three individual advisors and so would be counted three times.
It is really important that you separate these with separate custom reports so that you are measuring the right statistics. It is also important that everyone understands how the reports are made up.

So this may mean that you should always be looking at custom reports rather than the reports that the vendor supplied as standard with the system.

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question