Calculate required staff to cover extended operating hours

Topic Views - 194

Calculate required staff to cover extended operating hours
Hi, I'm wondering if there's a way to quickly work out, for budgetary purposes, how many extra FTE would be required if I changed operating hours from 8-5, M-F to 8-8 M-Sat without having to build a rostering model. The work performed is not immediate so there's no need to use an Erlang approach. I thought I could do a simple workload formula but I couldn't work it out.

Editor

Call Centre Helper

Extrapolate out demand
In essence you need to extrapolate the extra demand from the increased hours.

One way is 8-5, M-F = 45 hours per week and 8-8 M-Sat = 72 hours per week, but I doubt that you have 60% extra latent demand.

You could also look at call arrivals from out of hours. This will give you some clues.

Perhaps a better angle would be to examine timing of web traffic to get the demand profile.

In the absence of the above I would take an estimate of the latent demand, say 10% extra during the week.

So if you had 1000 calls per day with 9 hours open, you would expect 1100 calls per day with 12 hours open.

I would then use the default profiles in the Erlang calculator for 10 and 12 hours to get staffing demand.
https://www.callcentrehelper.com/tools/erlang-calculator/

But there is probably no substitute for extending opening hours with a small number of staff and measuring actual demand.

Thanks Jonty
I'll play around with your ideas

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question