Checklist for developing EXCELLENT training

Topic Views - 313

Checklist for developing and EXCELLENT training intervention
Checklist for developing an EXCELLENT learning programme.

1. Identify the skills or knowledge gap using a training needs analysis

2. Design your training around this making sure the learning objectives are SMART - specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, targeted/time-focussed

3. Design the training cycle, using a systematic training cycle and consider experiential learning techniques that will maximise the opportunities to achieve the learning objectives.

4. Evaluate your training at an employee, team, departmental, organisation level and training department goals level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things not to do:-

Decide on the goal of the training before you have identified the training need.

Forget to evaluate the training after it has been implemented.

Decide not just on what they need to learn but focus on your learning objectives and at what level i.e.. to what degree - how proficient, what are the parameters?

Instruct - Instruction is not regarded as the best way to learn, its what swimming instructors and the army do, it involves repetition and demonstration, adults don't learn best in this fashion, its only used to for learning where conformity is critical and total compliance is demanded.

Lecture - this is merely presentation and lazy presentation at that, whilst it works well for university students who are familiar with this delivery method it doesnt work at all with others who's preferred learning style is less abstract ie. those who prefer activity or reflection.(ACTIVISTS and REFLECTORS)

Assume a training intevention can only be facilitated by a trainer - Training can be successful without a trainer - an employee can read a manual or conduct some work place study or on the job learning.

Discriminate - Employees should not be selected on the basis on physical capabilities - in the UK there are laws against this. They should attend as part of a corporate wide focus on learning and development as well as business needs and job roles. The Investors in People initiative is an example of this.

Assign it to anyone with a passing interest - Who will deliver it? Someone who understands learning in the broader context of organisational development.

Performance Counselor

Sinja Masterstrokes

Checklist for developing and EXCELLENT training intervention
Hi! That was a good one!
Can we take the thread further on item 1 on your checklist.

Identify the skills or knowledge gap using a training needs analysis.

I have personally found the training needs analysis is best conducted by somebody who has hands on experience on the job, or similar assignments.

Normally this training needs analysis is best conducted by the Organisation outsourcing the service.

I find that that the Inhouse Call centers have a need based resource pool and a clear goal definition. The scope to experiment is also higher in the best interests of the Organisation.

The primary need that arises in the case of Outsourcing, is that the Organisation outsourcing the facility needs to consider the agency that this activity has been outsourced to as an extension of the Organisation.

If I may make a statement : The Organisation outsourcing the activity needs to have its own expert available @ the organisation undertaking the assignment to ensure that a good job is continued.

An external facilitator/coach/trainer/ can be more effectively utilised in this scenario - with better results.

Capital Process Equipment Suppliers have the term erection, commissioning and trial run followed by training.

Similarly those outsourcing Call Centre Activities should had have the trial run and training as a part of the Outsourcing Organisations' Responsibility.

Aint necessarily so

Hi, I enjoyed your insightful comments

>>I have personally found the training needs analysis is best conducted
> by somebody who has hands on experience on the job, or similar
> assignments.
>
> Normally this training needs analysis is best conducted by the
> Organisation outsourcing the service

Interesting perspective Mahidar but you dont back up why this is the case IMHO anyone who understands TNA techniques eg. Comprehensive, Common Skills, Problem, Repertory Gird, Role, Manua,. Activity Sampling, Stage and Key Point, Critical Incident, Competency etc etc and can ask questions should be able to conduct a more than satisfactory TNA.

Performance Counselor

Sinja Masterstrokes

This is interesting
Hi,

thanx for the prompt Respnse.

Your qualifier Ain't necessarily so! says it all.

So can we work together from here to say how the coach/trainer/facilitator can deliver results on the training needs analysis aspect? more as a sequel to what you got started on?

Thanks Mahidar
Thanks Mahidar,

Its all there in my points 2,3 and 4.

I'm not really interested in developing this, I use this as a forum and
prefer to discuss and contribute as much as I am willing, it sounds as if you want to cooperate and formulate some sort of project plan from it, I dont want to input that much.

Good luck.

Training Manager

Sterling Testing Systems

RAMP2FAME
really sorry I am juist short of time right now I will post this formula tomorrow to train better

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question