Emergency call routing

Topic Views - 76

TeleWeb Systems

Xerox

Emergency call routing
I’m currently trying to modify the emergency call routing in an Aspect call centre and would appreciate some advice and additional thoughts:

At present my method of putting emergency call routing plans into action is to sign onto a telset using a specific login. This method works well when an emergency takes place during working hours.

However if there was, for example, a bomb threat out of working hours then my current method would become less satisfactory – I really don’t want to have to walk into a building that is about to blow up just to log in a phone before the call centre re-opens.

As I don’t have a laptop computer it would not be possible to dial directly into the call centre and activate an emergency procedure.

I’d appreciate any ideas that other people have implemented in this situation.

An idea I’ve been considering is to set up an emergency CCT which would activate if a particular agent group had more than a certain number of messages. In an emergency situation I’d then be able to phone (from a safe distance) and leave the required number of messages.

A disadvantage of this plan could be that somebody else manages to leave messages for that agent group and accidentally activates the emergency routing.

I was considering hiding the routing to the voicemail within a CCT (eg. make the voicemail option 3, but only tell callers that there are 2 options) but am not certain that this would cover every method of leaving messages eg. agents sending messages to directly to each other through the message system.

Any ideas/solutions would be gratefully received.

PBX Engineer NCTS NCDS NCSS

witheld

Emergency call routing
Initial thought.

As the CC is working at times when you are not there. Could you not have a deputy with the authority to instigate the call routing in your absence. I used this method in a previous incarnation. Premises would receive a bomb threat every couple of months, I left a crib sheet with a trusted deputy with instructions on what to do.

Paul DS

Call Centre Manager

Emergency call routing
Hmm - it's a number of years since I have been involved with this area, and I have always worked in centres which are staffed 24/7 (so someone always around to log the phone in on their way out) or that have calls flowing between sites so not been a big issue.

I assume that you are on one site, and that are closed in the evening.

Can you have a cct that checks to see if a particular id is logged in? For example, if you have a duty supervisor's log in that is always logged in during opening hours, as long as it gets logged out at the end of the day, a cct could check and go to the emergency routing if it's logged out when you open (ok, a supervisor may forget to log it in, but I'm sure they would notice no calls coming in eventually and test the lines!). Or the same thing the other way round; create an id that will activate the emergency routing if it is not logged out by staff before the lines open for calls (and get staff to log it back in overnight).

The only other things I can suggest is:

Speak to Aspect - unless they have changed significantly in the last few years, I always found my Account Exec really helpful. They speak to a number of users and this is the kind of tip on system use they should be able to help you with.

Speak to the people who provide your lines. Is there a message that you can record at the exchange that you can call them to activate?

Sorry it's not technically worded, or foolproof, but I hope you get my drift and it is some help!

Regards

Zoe

PBX Engineer NCTS NCDS NCSS

witheld

Following Zoe's train of thought.
I didnt look at the idea that you are not 24*7.

Our Teleco were very good at emergency routing of calls. Get them to rout calls to a number that has a predefined message. You can either call them and have them do this manually or may now have DTMF controlled routing options.

Also from what you are describing this will have omplications with the Busines Continuity Plan (DR) for your firm. What are Business Cont' peoplease idea about what they want to happen ?

P

WFM & Business Telephony Manager

Healthcare Insurance

Disaster Procedures
From prior experience

IIRC with a Haris system it's possible to open and shut lines
with a remote dial in and pin code.

The proceuder as I remember was.
1) Dial preset DDI
2) On tone enter DNIS/CDN/ACD number
3) At second tone enter pin a to open lines or pin b
to close.

If Aspect supports this kind of instuction you can set pin c
to divert lines to a preset message/IVR facility.

As Harris is 15 years old and has this functionality I would
be very surprised if Aspect didn't.

HTH

DaveA

WFM & Business Telephony Manager

Healthcare Insurance

DR
B*gger

I fixed the typo but didn't re-preview

Write out 100 times:
PROCEDURE, PROCEDURE, PROCEDURE, PROCEDURE, PROCEDURE,
PROCEDURE, PROCEDURE, PROCEDURE, PROCEDURE, PROCEDURE,

You get the idea!

DaveA

Director

XRL Communications Ltd

Emergency routing
Hi Ruth,

You can virtualise your call centre for free and have DR instantly anything happens.

If you want some more info, please e-mail me at shaun.sen@xrl.co.uk

Regards

Shaun

Telecom/Reporting Analyst

Outsource callcenter

Aspect and Emergency routing
We are almost 24x7, and have a security guard here during the off hours, so we use the login emergency routing on our Aspect.

Probably the easiest solution though is the use the Messages waiting for Agent group. Setup a phone number whose CCT says 'You have reached a non-working number at your company name' then wait silently for 5 seconds and then record the voicemail message for some unused agent group.

Regards,
Marianne

P.S. Another option I have considered is dialing into our network and using CTI to login the teleset.

Director

XRL Communications Ltd

emergency routing
Dear all,

I would still suggest loggin on and off via a web based GUI using a virtual call centre. You dont have to buy anything and it means you can change routing and log ons instantly a disaster happens or even if the telephone lines are cut by workers outside the building

Regards

Shaun

Call Centre Manager

virtual call centre
I'm sure you would, given that's what you sell ! ;-)

However, in Ruth's original posting she did say that as she didn't have a lap top, she could not dial in to change settings, I'm not sure how a web based gui would differ....

Director

XRL Communications Ltd

Emergency routing
Hi Zoe,

Exactly!!! I wiould sday that, however, it is a good system and as we are indpendent we have offered other solutions in the past where they may be more appropriate

Anyway, rather than using a web based access, they can also use a back door number to log on and off from any location.

One person, whether Ruth or someone else could also go to any internet access site and change all the log ons to the emergency route

If we had set up the solution, we could change the DR routing by having an emergency route plan set up and then clicking into it when Ruth called us

Hope this makes sense

I am quite happy to come and demo the solution to anyone who is interested

Regards

Shaun

Director

Thesaurus Consulting Limited

Emergency call routing
Ruth,
Your telco should be able to provide DR. Based on the dialled number, any calls to number xxxxxxx route to yyyyyy . As an example, Energis offer this service. It can be initiated by a secure access site ( Web ) or by telephone.

peterw@thesaurusconsulting.co.uk

Peter

MI Capability Manager

Vertex DataScience Ltd

Emergency call routing
How about setting up your scripting to automatically divert calls to the emergency route if a scenario occurs where the call centre is "within working hours" but noone is taking calls, (either all unavailable or all logged out).

In this scenario your system is making a balanced judgement - we should be taking calls but we aren't there must be a problem therefore divert calls. You might need a couple of other logic safeguards but with effetive scripts you should be able to do something without having to physically login.

If you are diverting to another site, you can look at emergency call plans with your Telco.

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question