How many total agents do I need?

Topic Views - 214

How many total agents do I need?
I'm already aware of Erlang C so I know how many people I need at each interval to maintain SL. What I can't figure out is how to extrapolate how many total agents I need (even after I apply shrinkage). For example (and I know averages aren't the way to go - this is just for illustrative purposes) if I need on avg 7 agents on Mon, 6 on Tue, 6 on Wed, 7 on Thu, 8 on Fri, 5 on Sat and 3 on Sun - how many total people do I need to fill that schedule and try to avoid overtime? We're open 12.5hrs M-F and 10hrs S-S. I don't know how to account for days off, lunch, and scheduled breaks. I think it's obvious I need more than just 8 people, but I simply don't know how many I need to hire (provided all my new hires last). Can you help me?

Create a schedule
The way to do this is to create a schedule. You can do this in a spreadsheet fairly easily. You need to match out your requirement by hour and then match a certain number of shifts against this until the totals match the staffing requirement.

So for example in a spreadsheet
Column A is the date/time of each hour/interval in the week
Column B is the staffing requirement
Column C id the total for columns D to Z
Column D is member of staff 1 - Put in a 1 for every hour/interval that member of staff would work
Column E is member of staff 2 - Put in a 1 for every hour/interval that member of staff would work
Column F is member of staff 3 - Put in a 1 for every hour/interval that member of staff would work
Column G is member of staff 4
Keep on adding columns for more people

You then make sure that every value in column C is higher than column B.

You would typically build lunch and scheduled breaks into Columns D to Z

In terms of days off etc, the easiest way to do this is to build this in to your shrinkage.
Here is an article on how to calculate it.
https://www.callcentrehelper.com/how-to-calculate-contact-centre-shrinkage-90353.htm

You then feed the shrinkage into an Erlang calculator to get the demand that you need.
https://www.callcentrehelper.com/tools/erlang-calculator/

Hope this helps

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question