How to consider the IVR time in the Erlang calculator

Topic Views - 1283

How to consider the IVR time in the Erlang calculator
Greetings.

My question is based on the fact that, from what I've seen in literature, some of the parameters considered for staffing calculation, particularly AT&T's SLA, precede the current technology, namely the IVR.

Still, this site's calculator and others should still prove to be useful. As such, what I would like to know is:
¿How do I contemplate/include the IVR in the parameters?

My first instinct would be to simplu transform the parameters; if the IVR lasts 25 sec and the SL I would usually input is 90% 15 sec, I should instead input 90% 40 sec. And the same would be done with the Time to Abandon and the AHT.

Of course, it would be better for me to actually gather actual data and decide by myself when I begin to measure all this metrics. BUT, I need to use assumed values as an starting point to "sell" the use of this(these) tool(s) to my superiors.

Thanks beforehand.

Helper

Call Centre Helper

Generally the time is taken after the call has left the IVR
In most contact centres the service level is only counted once the call has left the IVR.

The one thing that you need to be careful of though is to make sure that you INCLUDE that time in the Average Time to Abandon figures as there is often a surprisingly high number of calls abandoning in the IVR.

The more customer focussed companies these days are removing the IVR and connecting calls straight through to a real life advisor.

THANKS
Thank you Jonty Pearce. That helps me a lot.

Yes, I figured that IVR had to be considered in the ATA. However, my concern lies in the USE of the Calculator (https://www.callcentrehelper.com/tools/erlang-calculator/), and in which of its parameters must I contemplate the IVR's duration.

- Should my SLA be 80% 20sec or 80% 20 (+25) sec?
- I'm guessing the patience must be AT LEAST 25 seconds, and when I measure the ATA, it must include the IVR.
- What about the AHT?

Again, thanks, and sorry for imposing on you again.

THANKS
Thank you for answering, much appreciated.

Still, I have other doubts, monstly about in which fields of this site's calculator (https://www.callcentrehelper.com/tools/erlang-calculator/) must I consider the IVR time.

From what you are saying, the IVR must be considered in the Patience, but should it be included in the fields AHT (I doubt it) or in the TAT?

THanks beforehand.

Helper

Call Centre Helper

It should generally be excluded from the AHT
AHT is a measure of the Average Handling Time. i.e. The length of time an advisor takes to handle a call. Talk Time + Hold Time + Wrap Up Time

But, regarding this site's calculator...
I'm sorry for being a broken record, but, does the "...generally be excluded from the AHT" apply for THIS site's calculator?

- Should my SLA be 80% 20sec or 80% 20 (+25) sec?
- I'm guessing the patience must be AT LEAST 25 seconds, and when I measure the ATA, it must include the IVR.
- What about the AHT?

Again, thanks for your input and advice.

Best Regards.

Helper

Call Centre Helper

Average Handling Time is measured for the agent not the caller
Average Handling Time is measured for the agent (not the caller). Exclude IVR time as the agent is not involved.

Average Time to Abandon is measured for the caller.

Thank you very much.
Ok, you've been cristal clear.

- ATA includes IVR time
- SLA DOES NOT include IVR time, I guess. Please, give a confirmation
- AHT MOST DEFINITELY does not include IVR time.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time of explaining.

Best regards.

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question