Implementing training

Topic Views - 338

Trainer / Webmaster

Volvo Action Service

Implementing training

Hey all,

How far does the responsibility of your trainers go ?

I'll explain myself ... we - as trainers - are responsible making sure that our colleagues coordinators are informed and trained on all the latest developments concerning customer demands, systems, ... But what do we see in real life ?
When showing/teaching the "older" staff new ways of working, they tend to keep on using their "acquired" skills. When asked why, the reply is " we always did it like this ..."

As a trainer ... we do not have the control function to really "implement" these chances. How is this in your companies ? Do trainers have the right to control and to act indeed certain procedures are not followed or do you leave that up to the hierachy ? If so ... how do you then take care of this matter ?

Thanks,

Kris

Implementing training
Hi Kris,

There are very few trainers on CCV, hence the reason you encounter me so often!

It is often said and debated that trainers train skills and knowledge and as to behaviours and attitudes they can influence them to some degree but not necessarily change them. There is no real evidence to support the fact that trainers can change behaviours, just influence them.

I would suggest that you training needs need to be re-examined if you aren't actually achieving your goals ie. effecting a change in skills or the acquiring of a new skills. You call it an 'acquired' skill but I think you mean a long established behaviour. It would seem that you need to include an element of challenging that previous behaviour in your training design as well as reinforcing why the new skill is better or more compliant etc.

As regards adult learning, teaching is a good method for younger learners however adults learn differently. Adults learn best when they are involved in negotiation, derive their own goals, diagnose their own needs, are willing to alter,make use of their experience, are activity based, acknowledge the importance of process etc etc and so I could go on. If you are relying on 'showing' its too simplistic for adult trainees.

Furthermore you may have other barriers to learning such as opposition from the boss, pressures of work, resentment of training, fear of change, laziness, previous experience of incompetent training ,past experience of lack of support in transferring learning into workplace.

Your evaluation should occur before, during, immediately after and 3 months after a training intervention has occured - are you sure this is occurring? Your TNA should identify all these issues and needs to be revisited if your outputs are not delivering.

>>>are responsible making sure that our colleagues coordinators are informed and trained on all the latest developments

If your statement is correct then you are informing people and you should have no issue. You are making them aware, they simply aren't doing it.

However, I would suggest your statement is incorrect and as a trainer you are responsible for ensuring learning occurs, ie. the development of HR through learning, including the successful transference and implementation of skills. If I'm right and I'm sure your job description is as I say then you have a right to take things further as you personally aren't performing and you aren't developing staff - you might even be bonuses on this aspect of results. I'd bring this to the attention of your training manager otherwise you may just spiral into a circle of demotivation. As regards my experiences of other organisations well it all depends on how large the company is and how large the training department is and how well the management support and believe in training. I'd recommend you bring it up and if it falls on deaf ears then you'll know what type of culture you have. I could go on but I've said enough already.

Trainer / Webmaster

Volvo Action Service

Implementing training

Let me thank you first for your replies ... all of them ( at least those I have read) are always interesting for me to learn about how other people see things. Judging from your answers, you seem to be someone with a lot of experience in this area and there is always something to learn from people like this.

Let me answer to a couple of your remarks. It is indeed a long established behaviour we are talking about. And believe you me ... changing these behaviours is indeed not an easy task. I feel that maybe we are falling a little bit too much into the conveying of the information and a bit too little in the "letting them discover" why and how these changes can affect their work. As I was reading more and more about evaluations ( cfr your other posts ) I come to believe that there is someting lacking at the moment.

The problem - to me - is as follows. We are a small trainers task force ( we are only 2 for 250 people) and we were instructed to limit ourselves to the conveying and the organising of the training. The actual follow-up os a task that rests in the supervisor's lap. And there is my problem ! We see no real movement in that corner.

One thing I will certainly try out is the approach of letting people think a little bit more for themselves ... why have these changes been asked, how do we work with these new changes and most of all ... how do we use these changes to increase our productivity ( in any which meaning of the word).
I'll keep you posted on the progress and please ... should you have any other tips and tricks ... do not hesitate to send them mailto : Kris.Meuleman@volvo.com )... I'm always ready to learn !!!

Thanks

Kris
(

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question