Importance of Behavioural Skills Training

Topic Views - 1189

Sr. Executive (Training Service)

IPSEL-Training

Importance of Behavioural Skills Training
The Importance of Training for Call Center Executives.

By Martin Bastian, Sr. Executive( Training & Development), IPSEL

There is a lot of activity going on in the ITES or IT Enabled Services sector. Many of us have seen and heard a lot about call centers and the sudden surge in the requirement of Manpower to supplement the continuous employee turnover.

Training is one of the key factors concerning every single employee working in call centers. With the sudden demand for outsourcing of crucial processes that has immerged as a necessity more than a trend and with India proving to be a hot destination for back office work, it becomes all the more necessary for call centers to pay close attention to the training needs of their work force.

Is Technical competency or Product Knowledge the only criterion for determining the professional worth of a Call Center Executive? It is a known fact that those who grow the fastest are not necessarily the ones with strongest technical skills, but those who possess the best interpersonal skills and the right attitude. Unfortunately many call centers do not pay much attention in bringing out and building the best Interpersonal skills in their employees. It is very important that attention be given towards behavioral skills and soft skills such that a balance of technical competency and behavioral skills is maintained which is an important criteria for any Call center working agent.

Behavioural skills like motivation, communication skills, team spirit and self-management, have witnessed a marked transition in the last few years from being ‘generic’ and ‘good to have’ to be ‘defined’ and a ‘pre-requisite’. The shift in perception is not without reason. Organisations across the globe have realised that professionals with just technical skills only partly complement the essentials of being a ‘complete professional’.

Many Organizations these days are stressing more on the importance of Customer satisfaction and have started introducing Satisfaction performance Indexes such as CSAT (Customer Satisfaction Index) and FTR ( First Time Resolution ). Working in such an Environment that is always demanding and continuously changing can be very stressful if proper training has not been provided to such people who manage huge volumes of customer related data and customer interactions.

IPSEL a leading name in Training & Development has chalked out a large number of programmes for behavioural skills training—presentation skills, team building, personal grooming, attitudinal change, cross-cultural management, time management, stress management and consulting skills. “Out of these personal grooming and cross-cultural management are very significant. The first because it trains one in personal hygiene, conversational skills, telephone skills, etc. Cross cultural training helps the consultant move from a “mine” is the only culture in the world to a multi-cultural outlook.

Success at training behaviours?
Martin,

I compliment you on your interesting perspective. Many companies have dress, hygiene and safety codes your willingness to train these issues does your company service although I'm not so sure on its efficacy, far simpler and often cheaper to recruit staff who comply with policies and processes or dismiss them for transgressions.

I am curious how do you measure your long term success and effectiveness at training behaviours?

Managing Director

Diversifying into Telemarketing

Training Staff versus Dismissing Staff
Very interesting difference of perspectives. Would you agree that this "difference of perspective" is akin to Company A, that believes in keeping its staff and investing money in training for the most part, as opposed to Company B, which has the ethos of investing in the efforts of hiring the already trained staff which more exactly fit the requirements of the company in the first place?

Would you also advocate a more rigid and strict discipline regime thereby using more of a linear form/style of management.

Do you think one method is alot more inexpensive than the other?

Very interesting concepts that you've brought up, and I think this can apply to many different business situations, and not just call centers.

Kind Rgds

Stephen

No overall preference
Hi Stephen,

In response to your question, I wouldnt advocate one form of manageemnt over another, thats dependent on the organisation, its needs, history and personnel.

My question stems from professional curiosity, measurement of behaviours and training behaviours to stick is not a simple as it appears.

ESSENTIAL BEHAVIORAL SKILLS THAT EMPLOYERS NEED IN INDIA
Nice Article.
Here I want to discuss some of the important behavioural skills
1.Honesty.
2.Conflict Resolution.
3. Master communication skills.
4.Team Work.
5.Patience and Resilience.
6. Don't be bossy.

These were some necessary tips, by which you can learn behavioral skills required at the workplace.

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question