Onshoring V offshoring

Topic Views - 1188

Onshoring V offshoring
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has any links to research on the benefits of onshoring contact centre work verses offshoring? I am writing a paper but majority of the research I can locate online is American and ideally I would like some UK based studies to reference.
Thanks

Helper

Call Centre Helper

I have not seem any studies
I have not seen any studies but anecdotally there are clear advantages of UK based contact centres - particularly in house vs out sourcing

For on shore benefits
- British accent (easier to understand and be understood)
- Local linguistic knowledge (e.g. how to spell names like Pearce)
- Local geographic knowledge (where Glasgow is, that Gloucester is not pronounced how it is written)
- Local knowledge of weather patterns (sunny, hot, storms, rain)
- Local accents (if you are in Wales and speak to a Welsh utility company you may well get someone who speaks with a similar accent)

For in house benefits
- Outsourcers typically work to a cost, so can be more interested in short calls
- In house staff can typically feed back problems in process and can help form task forces to solve them
- Career progression. The contact centre is often a stepping stone for employees to move onto other jobs in the company and understand the products and services
- Joined up thinking. I spoke to one outsourcer who handled all calls for a utility company. Many of these calls were as a result of incorrect information on the web site. But the outsourcer did not deal with the web site. - It was actually not in their interest to solve these problems as it would have reduced the number of incoming calls and hence their revenue

This is not an exhausting list

I hope that this helps.

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question