Shrinkage and Absenteeism

Topic Views - 3841

WFM Manager

Hello. I'm relatively new to all this, but it's my understanding that most people do a long range forecast or Staff Plan for budgeting purposes outside of their WFM application. I'm trying to recreate something based loosely on a workload calculation along with occupancy. Do you just use an all-in "shrinkage" factor that would include absenteeism to bump up your requirements or do your split them up? For example, if my requirements are 100 and my all-in shrinkage is 30% I would need 143 FTE (100/(1-.7). Or should I take that 100 FTE and bump up by AUX code usage first (because only agents working would need AUX time), then bump up by the unplanned absenteeism (because we only expect people who were not on planned absenteeism to show up to work) and lastly bump up by the planned absenteeism. So, in this scenario say our AUX time is 15%, unplanned is 9% and planned is 6%. Using this method it would translate into AUX adjustment 100 *(1-15%) = 118. Then 118 *(1-9%) = 130. Lastly, 130 * (1-.94) = 138. In this scenario I only need 138 agents.

Also, like I said, I'm a bit new to all this. Would a workload model have a higher requirement than when you actually use Erlang with a SL factored in or a lower requirement?

Helper

Call Centre Helper

A tricky one but you need to be careful not to compound your calculations. I would suggest that if you have a separate line for AUX then it makes sense to separate this out.

My best guess is that you should then apply shrinkage onto the base number, not the one that already has the AUX factor taken into account.

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question