Telephone Sales Staff Attrition Months 1-3

Topic Views - 409

Business Services Manager

Genesis Communications

When comparing attrition rates across various disciplines it becomes apparent that telephone based sales can be as high as 48% of all leavers within months 1-3. You have a recruitment strategy that manages expectations, a competitive basic, realistic targets, nice environment, quality leads data, people laugh !! So: Are all Telesales people born on Tuesdays and have far to go? or does the very nature of telephone sales attract transient beings ?

>>>So: Are all Telesales people born on Tuesdays and have far to go? or does >>>the very nature of telephone sales attract transient beings ?

Neither of these questions can be answered with any insight unless you conduct exit interviews.

>>>You have a recruitment strategy that manages expectations, a competitive basic, realistic targets, nice environment, quality leads data, people laugh !!

You wont know is these incentives are truly in place and working unless you conduct exit interviews.

We could speculate about these issues, however its cold hard exit interview data that HR, OPs and the Boardroom understand, anything else is just guesswork.

Owner

Gately Consulting

High turnover within 3 motnhs is a clear indication that the
wrong people are getting through the screening process hired.
Hiring managers need to hire people who have a talent for the
job and they need to stop hiring people who don't. The impact
on the turnover rate is huge.

Bob Gately
gately@compuserve.com

Churn
>>>High turnover within 3 motnhs is a clear indication that the
>>>wrong people are getting through the screening process hired.

No sir, the right people may be being hired but the company culture may not be what they were promised. Recruitment may very well be delivering just what they were asked but the culture of the company may not 'fit' (or suit) that type of employee, thus they leave - within 3 months, expectations have to be managed and delivered by recruitment and management.

Talent is not enough to ensure retention.

There are plenty of interesting discussion on this subject here is just one of them

https://www.callcentrehelper.com/forum/attrition-reduction-through-wise-recruitment-policy-73.htm

By the way, we are talking about churn, not attrittion which is the slow and gradual decline in numbers due to retirement, resignation etc.

Owner

Gately Consulting

the right people
We define "the right people" as those who thrive in the culture and who become successful employees. Hiring people who don't thrive in the culture is hiring mistake. Hiring managers need to stop hiring people who will not thrive in their culture.

Forgive me
I understand what you are saying but you're gonna have trouble putting that in a job description.

I stand corrected, I thought you said "Hiring managers need to hire people who have a talent for the job" which do you mean? Should HR recruit those who are "talented" or those who "thrive in the culture and who become successful employees"? What parameters define who will become a successful employee and what is it that makes someone thrive in a culture?

HR departments need job descriptions to be accurate, specific, precise and able to withstand legal scrutiny.

Assuming recruitment are mainly responsible for recruiting wrongly negates the part that operations and other departmental relationships play in this process by drawing up ill conceived candidate profiles.

Owner

Gately Consulting

The Right People - continued
Hello:

>...you are saying but you're gonna have
trouble putting that in a job description.<

It doesn't belong in a job description.

>I thought you said "Hiring managers need to
hire people who have a talent for the job"
which do you mean?<

Both, it means the same. Have you read "First, Break All The Rules, what the world's greatest managers do differently"? The authors' definition of "a talent", see page 71, is "a recurring pattern of thought, feeling, or behavior that can be productively applied...The emphasis here is on the word 'recurring.' Great managers say 'Your talents are the behaviors you find yourself doing often.'"

>Should HR recruit those who are "talented"
or those who "thrive in the culture
and who become successful employees"?<

Yes, all three.

>What parameters define who will become
a successful employee and what is it
that makes someone thrive in a culture?<

Employers who use the job matching method determine if there applicants are qualified to be hired. If they are, they then look at their thinking styles, occupational interests and behaviors.

>HR departments need job descriptions
to be accurate, specific, precise and
able to withstand legal scrutiny.<

Yes, but job description describe the job's tasks not the people who should be in the job.

>Assuming recruitment are mainly responsible
for recruiting wrongly negates the part that
operations and other departmental relationships
play in this process by drawing up ill conceived
candidate profiles.<

All areas need to work together. Job success is not an accident.

Bob

Accord
Bob,

I understand and agree with you.

Just to correct one minor point. Job descriptions these days usually list
essential attributes/qualifications and desirable attributes/qualifications., they also list behaviours and goals. On the whole these topics are not task focussed, they define the qualifications, attributes and behaviours of who should be in the job.

Training Consultant

Management Introductions

High telesales staff turnover.
As the great Robert DeNiro said in 'The Untouchables', "It's all about teamwork!".....
.....then he hit someone over the head with a baseball bat!

Surely the answer to lowering staff turnover in tele-sales lies in teamwork; in so far as the people dealing with the recruitment ensure that they hire people who genuinely want to do tele-sales and not just people looking for a quick buck! Then for the training department to ensure that they are fully trained on both the product and selling skills (Which I do brilliantly if I might add!), for the Team Coaches or Line Mangers to ensure that the agents are given full support and motivation, and for the company as a whole to ensure that targets are achieveable, realistice bonus' are in place, are generally create a plesant, supportive and nurturing environment for staff!

If this is effectively put into place, then the repetitive nature of telesales calls will not be compounded by a catalogue of other issues, thus leaving staff unfulfilled and seeking another position! Which 9 times out of 10 is another telesales position with another company!

Realistic or idealistic?

Operations Manager (owner)

PartnerCall

one way to make sure expectations are real
As part of the application process, we will quite often get the applicant to come in and sit in the call centre, use a buddy jack (double headset adapter) and listen to calls.

This hour or so allows the applicant to get a true understanding of the culture, environment and type of calls made.

The other thing to bare in mind is that the industry is renowned for churn and this can be due to the fact that either staff burn out with repitition (boredom), or struggle to hit targets on an ongoing basis. One applicant I recently interviewed had been through several outbound centres in the past few years and a bit of delving found that most employers gave him about two months to get on track for targets etc., and when the pressure was on he would fold, and move on. I suggested he look at another career path.

Dream, dream, dream...all I want to do is dream
Paul,

>>>people dealing with the recruitment ensure that they hire people who genuinely want to do tele-sales and not just people looking for a quick buck!

Like you I'm involved in training, I also recruit. Your idea is somewhat idealistic. People who want to do telesales are not that commonplace, once they realise they are good at sales they soon disregard telesales and move onto higher value sales, face to face or consultative field sales. The go-getting instinct for telesales doesnt really last that long and whilst potential employees may say they "love tele-sales cant wait to work here" etc etc the reality is they are frequently looking for a quick quid to see them through uni etc. In the UK legally one cannot deny someone a job just because you THINK they might be lying, one needs a bit more proof.
Secondly operational demands mean that recruitment often do not have the luxury of searching long and wide for tele-sales staff keeping them waiting on tenter hooks for our poorly paid tough job for 2-3 weeks until the leads are available etc. They look elsewhere in retail and hospitality. All to frequently operations want 50 good motivated long term commited sales staff with a proven track record tomorrow.

We can all dream I suppose.

NA

NA

Churn needs to be managed...
Hi All,

A burning issue in call centre and all the postings on this subject are operations and recruitment oriented percpetions.

Churn is going to be there and it will be there no matter what organizations do to motivate and retain their staff. Call centre business is all about meeting expectations of both internal and external customers. The business model revolves around individual profit centres ( telesellers). So the best way to address churn is manage churn by building in the additional costs and covering business risks associated with churn. There is no vaccine for churn and it is a disease that needs to be endured. The best way to look at churn is to accept the fact that there will be ceratin amount of churn and manage it within tolerable levels without affecting the revenue model.

Any takers???
Vedula

Training Consultant

Management Introductions

Telesales Attrition
Hey y'all!

When I submitted my posting, my question was somewhat rhetorical in that I realised it was more idealistic than realistic; however, whilst Telesales will probably always be an industry with a higher turnover rate than most, I find it hard to believe with all our combined knowledge and experience we cannot reduce the figure.

Vedula's comments about churn are correct, but to call it a disease we will just have to live with surely cannot be the case?

One thing I've discovered on this message board is a lot of people who know a LOT about Call Centres (Do we not have homes to go to?), so we must be able to come up with practical solutions to install in our work-places!

Anyone?

Treading in others footsteps.
Paul,

You are right there are lots of people on this list who have discussed this issue in great depth before this thread. Just type 'attrition', 'churn' or 'motivation' into the search button on the site.

Yes there are many ideas and suggestions, they've all been tried over the last decade or so and are still in place..... so is this topic.

If there were a fix its reasonable to assume it would have been tested already.

I dont think describing attrition as a disease is an appropriate analogy, the body does not put up with diseases lightly it ties to overcome and fight them, sometimes it is unable to do so these diseases are terminal. It is howeever able to tolerate minor complaints, conditions and discomforts. The analogy infers that staff who wish to leave their employer(perhaps to better their prospects or be more able feed their family) are the source of some infection is to sorely devalue the very staff who were only the day before contributing so much to the organisations health.

Managing Director

Diversifying into Telemarketing

Finding an Industry Consultant

It seems obvious from your postings that you have been in the call center industry for some time, and know your way around the industry.

If I where to require the paid services of a UK based general "call center industry" consultant, are you someone who is able to be "consulted" about general issues and general aspects of the business from small to large?

Where would I find such a person, obviously private communication to yourself might be suitable?

Although I am a small operation, I am only in a small pilot scheme stage. If all goes according to plan, I would be consulting experts in the industry, for continuation with this business project..

Although in its infancy at the moment, would it be possible to get an idea of rates or how people charge in the industry?

Do you have a guide for how consultants charge? Anybody have any ideas..by the day/hour/ project?

And what are the general scope of things that consultants have experience and can advise on?

Best Regards

Stephen

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question