Voluntary outbound dialling code suggestions

Topic Views - 69

Contact Centre Consultant

DarrylBeckford Limited

Voluntary outbound dialling code discussion
Here...

I've received a couple of suggestions by email which I'll post here for discussion in due course.

Regards,
Darryl

DarrylBeckford Limited

Some feedback received
Here are some views on the first draft of the code that I have received by email. The contributor will remain anonymous unless they tell me they wish to be named:

3. The content of the message:
3.1 There will be many views on exactly what name is used.

For me, it needs to be that of company responsible for the call in a form that permits ready identification. By "responsible" I mean the company who would hold a "do not call", or would be subject to action by the ICO in the event of the recipient being registered with the TPS. The form of the name would be that most commonly used in a telephone or business directory or in searching for a web site, so that one could discover how to write, call or e-mail.

If the call was made by an overseas agent on behalf of a UK or EU company, it would have to be the company rather than the agency.

In some cases it would perhaps be necessary to give the name of both the agent and their client, to meet the "responsibility criteria specified above.

3.2 I believe that a few words to cover the general purpose of the call should be included in the specification of the message.

"This was a non urgent call and there is no need for you to call us back" is one example that goes a long way to avoid any hint of marketing. There is a danger that too much vagueness could lead us back to anxiety

- well why did my bank call me then?
- who is this company I have never heard of?
- if you don't want me to call you back so we can speak, why did you call me?

Unless the ICO insists on particular wording (which is unlikely) I believe that the most helpful reassuring wording appropriate to the campaign, that does not include marketing material, should be used.

3.3 It may be best to either give a very clear indication of when a further call will be made, or to say nothing at all about future calls. Some companies would wish to always make an attended call to anyone who has received an NAAC as soon as possible - I see no problem with that. Others would perhaps wish to advise that no further attempt would be made for at least 72 hours.

3.4 On the question of giving a number to request no further calls I am probably going to be controversial. I do not think that this is necessary (as a requirement).

If the name of the company has been given adequately, there should be no problem in contacting them to ask for no further calls. If CLI is provided then this would make this easier.

The purpose of the Informative Message is to close the issue swiftly andeffectively without causing trouble or embarrassment to either party. No anxiety, no nuisance, no need to write down telephone numbers.

I fear that if any focus is given to the provision of call back numbers then the message gets longer and the process gets complicated. This may also draw attention away from the imperative need for the name of the "responsible" caller to be clearly given in the message.

I would not however go so far as to say that this should be prohibited.

3.5 If the message is brief, transmitting it twice is fine.

This may help to deal with the problem of the beginning of the message being missed if recorded by an answering machine or service. For the live listener, a little thought may need to be given to the start of the message so that the hearer has a little time to put the phone to their ear, make

their announcement and tune in to the fact that they are listening to a message, before important information is given. If the caller's name comes too soon, even the most alert listener may have to wait for the repetition before they catch the name.

4. I am not sure if the one second limit is feasible.

The DMA has this in its code, however I have read someone dismiss this as unattainable for predictive diallers.

If answering machine detection is at all reliable and does not make the delay unacceptable, it is a highly desirable feature from the consumer's point of view. I get notified of all messages left on my landline by a call to my mobile - I would rather not be notified of NAACs.

This point may need some serious debate.

5. Everyone seems to be getting very excited about CLI at the moment.

I am not excited about CLI, except where the issue distracts attention from the key point. It has its uses, but it should not be seen as an alternative to making calls properly in the first place - that is what the Informative Message is about.

Why should someone be compelled to give CLI with all sorts of strings attached, if they are making calls that announce who they are and why they called?

If they tell me who they are and I want to call them, I can look them up in the phone book. If they do not tell me who they are when they call, they are making a nuisance call. If they are making a nuisance call, why should I believe that any CLI they give is likely to be genuine and effective in identifying them.

Compelled provision of CLI is simply being used as an excuse for failure to use the telephone properly. The Informative Message is about using the telephone properly.

DarrylBeckford Limited

From Zoe...
How about [8 Aug 09:24:08]

adding in that companies observe the law in the country in which the calls are received, rather than made. (or whichever stricter)?

Zoe

Call Centre Manager

Anyone else?
I know Darryl is good, but I'm sure I can't be the only one with a suggestion, let alone a comment (opinions not often being in short supply in the community!)

Z

Call Centre Manager

I stand corrected
Congratulations Darryl. In the absence of any comments or suggestions I can only conclude that you are that good, after all!

Z

Silent calls
This is all over the BBC news today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi/bb_rm_fs.stm?&news=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&nol_storyid=4158404

Why so few contributions?
What about those silent calls generated from operator error (headset left unattended and open)
What's you call centre doing?
Do we care?

Director

Reynard Thomson Ltd.

Caring...
"Do we care?"

We should.

DarrylBeckford Limited

Do we care?
Some of us certainly do.

You'll notice that the consumer featured was shown reading our Voluntary code of practice discussed in this thread. Unfortunately, the code itself wan't mentioned or a link to the website given (as I requested when I spoke to the reporter yesterday.)

This is a shame, because many call centre managers would have been watching the article this morning and are still none the wiser as to how they can implement a NAA message legally.

If you think they should be told, then feel free to email:

breakfast.tv@bbc.co.uk

and ask them to put a link to the already existing code on their website, rather than just talking about the code that the DMA are going to produce one day.

Call Centre Manager

Where is it?
Obviously I can follow the above link, but can't even find it off the bbc website otherwise!

Z

Just TV
There's just the link, no other text on the website, but it was all over breakfast TV and will probably make it to the later schedules.

Marketing

Rostrvm Solutions Limited

Dialling code comments
On the whole the propsoed code is great.

I have a couple of comments

5.1 "No form of IVR may be offered to the caller". I understand and accept the broad principle, but would allow the caller the option to play a message such as "If you do not want to receive calls from then please press * now". This would of course require the caller to maintain their own, additional do-not-call list and act on it!

5.2 The term 'line' needs to be defined more clearly to avoid cheating the system in such a way that a lot of silent calls are created without exceeding the 5% per line guide

Want to add a comment?

Not found what you were looking for?

1. Try searching through our site.
2. Still not got an answer?

Why not ask the Call Centre Helper Community? Click here to ask your question