Does Your Peak-Load Planning Include Contact Centre Testing?


Mike Burke takes us through his advice for peak-load planning in the contact centre.

Depending on the industry, contact centres experience peak loads during certain key times of the year.

For instance, in the US we have an open enrolment period associated with insurance changes, typically in the later months of the year into January. During this time, insurance industry contact centres handle 10 to 20 times their average traffic on a given day.

In retail industries, the peak is typically associated with Black Friday. Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day represent peaks for purveyors of flowers and chocolate.

Peak load for the utilities occurs during hurricane season for the south-east and north-east and during tornado season for the heartland. The potential for catastrophic weather means that people in these areas will likely have to deal with their utility and insurance companies.

Prior to these events, a load test against the environment should be performed to ensure that the increased traffic will not cause any issues.

Harmless-Looking Changes Aren’t Always Harmless

In a complex technology environment, there are regular updates to applications and occasional tweaks to underlying infrastructure over the course of a year. Changes to routers, components, and service data might not appear to adversely impact contact centre capacity for traffic at 20% or 10% of peak. However, once traffic reaches peak and the peak load extends over a longer period of time instead of only a few minutes, the underlying network infrastructure and contact centre technology can become seriously and significantly stressed.

Stress Testing Improves the Customer Experience

It’s important to find those issues buried deep in the environment that will adversely impact the customer experience delivered by the contact centre during peak traffic.

Contact centre stress testing as part of the peak-load planning process will help to identify and deal with any of those situations. The service data can be corrected if additional network capacity is required to handle the added load.

Perhaps the updates that were applied to the system didn’t make it to all copies of functionality that are distributed throughout the network and data-processing environment. All those potential issues can be uncovered and corrected ahead of time using a tool like StressTest.

Changes Require Functional Testing

Ideally, you would want to perform a complete load test and functional test whenever a change is made within the environment.

Self-service IVR systems and websites are very complicated and the 80/20 rule applies. It’s common for 20% of the code to be exercised 80% of the time, but the other 20% also has to function as intended rather than just dropping the call or transferring out when a user performs an unexpected action.

Mike Burke

For instance, let’s say the main menu asks users to press 1, 2, or 3, but the user presses another button or doesn’t input anything at all. Most likely a re-prompt is specified instead of a drop or transfer.

Functional testing against the entire suite of possibilities is extremely important for this reason, especially whenever any element of the self-service IVR functionality changes.

To find out more, visit www.ir.com

Published On: 11th Apr 2017 - Last modified: 26th Feb 2019
Read more about - Archived Content


Get the latest exciting call centre reports, specialist whitepapers, interesting case-studies and industry events straight to your inbox.