- To manage, develop and lead a Customer Service team focused on delivering best in class customer service focused on first time resolution and customer retention.
- Be responsible and accountable for the successful delivery of the agreed targets, budgets and goals.
- To create a Customer Service function that continually aspires to achieve excellence in all areas
- To provide motivational and inspirational leadership to diverse teams with varied skills and abilities, responsible for all aspects of customer service
- To drive performance to exceed agreed customer services levels and continually push the barriers to deliver improvements in customer service and reduction in operating expenses.
Job Scope: Lead a team of Customer Services Team Leaders and Customer Services Representatives.
- To contribute to the overall success of the business by playing an active role in the leadership team.
- Deputise for Customer Service Director as and when appropriate.
- To continually develop customer retention, revenue generation and care programmes in order to drive revenue and growth from our customer base.
- To ensure that all recruitment is performed to the highest standards and that the Team leaders retain a skilled and motivated workforce capable of delivering against key targets. Succession planning.
- To ensure that the resources available (staff, equipment, information etc.) are deployed to optimise productivity and minimise waste.
- To monitor resources against work volumes to ensure that Service Level Agreements and company targets are met, ensuring that adequate resources are available at all times to meet demand
- To ensure that customer complaints are resolved promptly to the customer’s satisfaction and handled at the first point of customer interface and in accordance with regulations.
- To actively work with others in the business to develop strategies and plans to execute major projects.
- To be responsible and accountable for the management of the call centre operating budgets, ensuring targets are met in a cost effective manner in line with agreed Company procedures and that year on year productivity gains (measured by unit cost) are delivered.
- To build a network of contacts, both internally and externally and develop key operational relationships to ensure the delivery of objectives, and to keep up to date with practices within the contact centre industry and ensure that contact centre customer service targets and goals are achieved.
- To establish and implement continuous process improvement by monitoring customer interactions and by obtaining direct customer feedback on the standards of service delivered by the contact centres.
- Implement and oversee the production of management reports to identify process improvements, analyse customer service activity, productivity, key performance indicators and best practice
- To generate a strong focus on customer retention and revenue development through targeting and measuring team performance on business protection and growth.
- To identify and eliminate barriers to enhance performance and enable team members and individuals to contribute towards process and performance improvement to drive up productivity and ensure First Point of Contact Resolution.
- Work with TL’s to ensure that their associates development needs are captured and achieved to improve skill levels and performance whilst achieving objectives.
- To agree and implement development plans with each TL in order to address their development needs to improve skill levels and performance. Including succession planning, effective coaching and monitoring etc.
- To drive improvements in customer service performance, as measured by customer satisfaction, operational measures and productivity, by deploying best practice contact centre management and ensuring appropriate measurement and monitoring is established.
- To support the Customer Service Director and Leadership team by developing best in class customer service tactics and strategy.
- To develop a learning and development culture where teamwork, empowerment and trust are encouraged through coaching, performance measurement and people development in order to meet the organisations visions and values whilst maintaining superior customer service standards.
- Strong leadership, coaching and people development focus.
- Strong interpersonal skills – able to communicate and contribute effectively with a large team, with peers, managers and in virtual teams.
- Strong measurement focus and ability to assimilate rapidly performance trends and take corrective action.
- Complete and thorough understanding of end-to-end customer service processes
- Able to deliver to a very high standard in an environment of rapid change and ambiguity.
- Strong influencing skills and able to influence outside area of direct control.
- Able to prioritise workload to meet challenging deadlines and ability to multi-task.
- Able to understand end-to-end processes and deliver the customer interface elements to target.
For more information on being a courageous and strong manager, read this article for 10 Tips for Being a More Courageous Contact Centre Manager.
- 5 years experience of leading and motivating people in a customer service/operational environment
- Thorough understanding of end-to-end customer service processes.
- Demonstrable success in improving customer service levels.
- Thorough understanding of best practice in contact centre operation covering people, process and technology.
- Successful track record of leading, motivating and developing large teams of people.
- Experienced in developing and working within a robust managing operating system and a quality management environment.
- Experienced in developing and negotiating for operating budgets, capex and project expenditure.
- Proven communication, influencing, negotiation, interpersonal and report writing skills
- Considerable experience in leading and managing change, specifically in the area of process re-engineering
With thanks to Cactus Search, a niche UK specialist Call and Contact Centre recruitment business
For guidance in how you can perform some of these responsibilities and duties to the best of your ability, read our article: What Does a Good Customer Service Manager Look Like?