What Is a CTO? – With a CTO Job Description
We uncover which job role is commonly referred to as CTO and give an example job description, laying out what is commonly expected from a CTO.
CTO stands for Chief Technology Officer. This person is in charge of developing and delivering an organization’s strategy for best utilizing technology.
A CTO will focus on ensuring that technological resources are used efficiently, effectively and securely. This is in regard to both customer experience and costs.
To do this, a CTO will test existing systems, while also considering how new systems and other infrastructure could help their organization to better meet their business goals.
Responsibilities and Duties of a CTO
If you work as a CTO, your day-to-day activities will include:
- Building the company’s technology strategy and aligning it to organizational goals
- Working with other departments to ensure that they are best using their technology
- Pinpointing which technologies can yield the most benefit
- Testing the organization’s technology continuously and tracking key KPIs
- Ensuring data protection and that the company is meeting compliance targets
- Developing parts of quality assurance criteria, to ensure employees are tested on how they are using technology
- Monitoring the IT budget to ensure funds are being used appropriately
- Talking through the technology strategy to stakeholders and partners.
The Top 3 Skills Needed for a Call Centre CTO
- Technological knowledge – A CTO must be able to understand all the systems used within the organization, while knowledge of the latest technological trends is also important.
- Economic – Understanding budgets and being economical in business planning are key skills for a CTO when they are looking to maximize current technological resources.
- Analytic – Having the ability to evaluate the performance of technology and run analysis is key for an aspiring CTO. A CTO will also be expected to be analytical when researching new technologies.
Other skills that organizations will look for from a CTO include good communication and leadership skills, strategic thinking and problem solving, as well as an ability to stay organized.
To qualify for the position of a CTO, you will be expected to hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering. This would be expected to be a first-class or upper second-class degree.
In addition, any previous experience as a CTO – or a similar position – would prove invaluable for your application.
Interested in Finding Out More About Becoming a CTO?
If you are looking for a role as a CTO, you may find some interesting vacancies by checking out the websites of the following recruiters: